|
点击收听音频>>
B: what do you think about the public service advertisement for quiting smoking?
你觉得那个号召戒烟的公益广告怎么样?
N: while I think it's great that they're trying to get people to quit smoking, but I don't reallycare for the advertisement.
我觉得劝导别人戒烟是好的,不过我真的不喜欢那个广告.
B: why not?
为什么呢?
N: the fish hook that they use is quite disturbing!
他们用的那个鱼钩实在让人看着心烦.
B: it's a pun. They use the fish hook to make you think about how you can get "hooked" onsmoking.
那是个双关语.用上钩让你联想到吸烟上瘾.
N: I know, but I think it's not really appropriate for young children.
我知道,不过我觉得这不适合青少年.
B: I think they're trying to scare the young people so that they don't ever start smoking.
我觉得它是想警示青少年不要尝试沾染香烟.
N: all advertisers like to catch young people because they know the meaning of loyalty.
所有的广告商都想抓住年轻的消费人群,因为他们深知品牌忠实度的含义.
B: perhaps you're right,, though. Maybe the advertisement would be more effective withadults anyhow.
也许你是对的.不过无论如何,这个广告可能对成年人的影响更大.
N: I have nothing against them putting the advertisements in magazines and newspapers thatare read by adults, but I don't think they should have their ad on billboards where children cansee them.
我不反对他们把这个关高刊登在成年人阅读的报纸杂志上,可他们要是把它放在街面的广告牌上,青少年都能看得到,这就不好了.
B: that's a good point. I think I was so delighted to see that a billboard was being used topromote health that I didn't think about how children might understand the ad.
你说的对.我很高兴有一个户外广告牌上做的事促进身体健康的广告,但真不知道青少年对上面的话能理解多少?
N: you have to give them credit, though. It's about time people started becoming more awareof the dangers of smoking.
不过你还是应该对他们给予充分的承认.人们是时候开始关注吸烟的危害了.
【核心词汇】
1.Disturbing: making you feel anxious and upset orshocked 引起烦恼的;令人不安的;引起恐慌的
a disturbing piece of news 一则令人不安的消息
2.pun: the clever or humorous use of a word thathas more than one meaning, or of words that havedifferent meanings but sound the same 双关语 ~ (onsth)
We're banking on them lending us the money─no pun intended! 我们正指望他们借给我们钱呢bank 绝无双关之意!
3.Delighted: very pleased 高兴的;愉快的;快乐的 adjective ~ (to do sth) ~ (that…) ~ (by/at/withsth)
a delighted smile 愉快的微笑
I'd be absolutely delighted to come. 我非常乐意前来.
I was delighted that you could stay. 你能留下来我很高兴.
She was delighted by/at the news of the wedding. 听到婚礼的消息她很高兴.
I was delighted with my presents. 我对我收到的礼物很满意.
4.Credit: praise or approval because you are responsible for something good that hashappened 赞扬;称赞;认可 uncountable ~ (for sth)
He's a player who rarely seems to get the credit he deserves. 他这个选手好像很少得到应得的赞扬.
I can't take all the credit for the show's success─it was a team effort. 演出成功不能都算成我一个人的功劳,这是集体努力的结果.
We did all the work and she gets all the credit! 工作都是我们干的,而功劳却都归了她!
Credit will be given in the exam for good spelling and grammar. 考试中拼写和语法出色者将受到表扬.
At least give him credit for trying(= praise him because he tried, even if he did not succeed). 至少该表扬他尝试过.
|
|